A few minutes ago, I decided that I was going to make a series of 12 posts dedicated to members of my family. It will go in this order: Mother, Daddy, Jordan & Company, David & Company, Joseph & Company, Michael & Company, Kathryn (& the lack of company), Elisabeth & Company, Christina, Morgan, Tanner, and Mary. Here goes day #1
Mother: The Master of Perseverance
Mother, as her name suggests, is my mother. Along with that title, she is referred to as a sister, wife, grandmother, and neighbor. Mother is the ultimate example of what every person wants to be.
When I went on Trek, my Ma (a different person) came to me and said that her mother was putting on a dinner for the stake, and Mother was asked to bring 24 lasagnas. On the day of the dinner, Mother showed up with a smile on her face, a skip in her step, and 24 lasagnas made from scratch. 24 full sized lasagnas. Made from scratch. Just let that sink in.
Mother also has a wonderful sense of humor. A few weeks ago, I was discussing the hippie movement with my math teacher. I found that she once had a store in St. George called "Leather-Wood", which was so hippie it even had an isle devoted to incense. She told of how for a few months, she would let her friends sleep in the store because the commune had closed down. I went home and told Mother "Mother, I have decided to join the local commune."
She then, with a completely strait face, looked at the kitchen, the living room, and out the back window, and said "Maybe I'll come too."
Mother is also the ultimate, for lack of a better word, mother. For as long as I remember, Mother has been encouraging me to do my best, making food every day, and providing me with someone to talk to. She is always checking up on her children making sure they are doing well. She is a wonderful example of what a disciple of God is. She has a testimony and is always willing to share it, to anyone anywhere. I can honestly say that there is no difference in saying "I'm trying to be like Jesus" or "I'm trying to be like Mother".
I'm pretty sure you mean "wife" instead of "husband" under the list of Mother's titles :) This was a great post, George! I totally laughed at that hippie story
ReplyDelete