Sorry. Tanner wanted to use the computer. My new savings, which are not coasting off the interests of someone else, namely Morgan, I have found my own hobby. Guns. I love them. I have done hours of research and familiarized myself with most popular brands, on both firearms and optics, and have deduced what it is I want. I have been very impressed with my .22 rifle, which is a Ruger 10/22, being the best selling firearm in the world. I have the Carbine model, which is based off the revolutionary M1 Garand, which set the tone for modern warfare. Based on this impression, I have decided to assume it was just a .22 thing, and left ruger alone. I then went to the big centerfire names (rimfire and centerfire is another post) like Browning, Winchester, Savage, and Colt.
I went to Browning and found very high ratings and very high prices. Winchester wasn't much better. I went to Savage and found very low prices and very low ratings. I left. At Colt, I found my dream gun. the LE-901. It is a large caliber, assault rifle platform, and just a very manly looking rifle for a very manly looking man, which I aspire to be. I ditched it for two reasons. $1500, and Daddy is as strongly against assault rifle platforms as he is against pistols. Probably a good idea. I was lost. I looked around for everything. I was about to go to a pawn shop, when I remembered Ruger.
I went to the bolt-action rifles section and found the most perfect gun for George's ever built.The Ruger American Rifle. Brand new, released one week before I saw it, full tang safety, adjustable two stage trigger, built in scope mounts, full floated barrel, and I was ready for the final test. I looked at the price, and jumped for joy. $450. Then I went to reviews. I heard stories of first-round-hits at 1000 yards, lightweight hunting rifle, built perfectly, available in popular calibers, break-like-tortilla-chip trigger, nice stock, ect, ect, ect.
I went to Daddy, and he said I could pull the half-and-half deal and get not only the gun, but also the scope, and case. I am so pumped. I have a job. I help Sister Hall at the farmer's market on Thursdays, and am getting pet sitting jobs all over the neighborhood. I am about 20 dollars away from my goal. I now have to find out which caliber I want it in.
The smallest is the .243. It is a good deer hunting rifle, and it can hunt elk, but not very effeciently. It uses a medium amount of powder to fire a medium bullet. It kicks about five notches down from a 12 gauge shotgun. Relatively clean.
Next is the .270. it uses a large amount of powder to to shoot a medium bullet, and can efficently bring down moose and elk. It kicks like a 3 legged ninja, and is a needs cleaning more often. Accurate out to 1000ards
The second largest is the .308. It is accurate out to 1500yards, can bring down a buffalo, and doesn't kick to bad. it uses a large amount of powder to shoot a large bullet. Very clean round.
The biggest is the .30-06. It can bring down a polar bear, uses an abnormally large amount of powder to shoot a large bullet, accurate out to 1800 yards, and is on the dirtier side of things. Kicks quite a bit.
Please post a reply as to which caliber I should get.
I'm a fan of the .270. I like the ninja kick
ReplyDeleteI think the .308 sounds good, because it's pretty powerful, but doesn't kick too much. But I know basically nothing about guns, so my recommendation is only based on your descriptions.
ReplyDelete